Monday, October 10, 2011

Informative Information?


Driving to the other side of Korea!!! Time to BLOG

Today we are busing across Korea to the East coast, Sokcho! It is a suggested hot spot for tourist activity for the locals.  We love to see the wonders and experience the people. (Side note: Hostels are a great way to be in the middle of local life)

 The drive is beautiful. I am noticing once again how clean it is here, the amazing tunnels with fanned ventilation, and the grave-yards here all look like ancient burials sites that are over grown because every grave gets its own tree instead of a bouquet of flowers ( so it seems). It looks awesome. Most I have seen are on hills. Also..the ROADs are Smooth as a babies bottom…

An Ode to my Gregory Deva 60 Pack

Back Pack Deva, How I love you so.
         You make my travels yonder seem to flow!
                   I shall take you with me, where ere I go…

I am grateful to the REI Gods every day for creating the Gregory Deva 60 Pack!! You saved my life. How on earth have I not know about you all my life? Probably because you are newer, but glad you are here. Seriously, after all the traveling and back packing I have done, never has there been a bag I feel so comfortable carrying around all day. We have not had to most of the time, but the times we have, it’s like the bag has been a part of my body, and caused no additional soreness or pain while carrying.  Soon, I will put a video up here of my Backpack that I love!!

PEOPLE IN SEOUL, KOREA are SOO FRIENDLY
I just want to give a shout out to the people in Korea. Every one so far has been soooo friendly (ironically people are not walking around with smiles, but most, still are super friendly).

 Today someone approached us because they noticed we were lost, and then gave us perfect directions to travel to our desired spot. 5 minutes prior to this exchange, someone asked us if we needed help getting a locker at the train station because we couldn’t read Korean, AND this morning our hostel host reminded us that he owed us a dollar in change! Who knew! So either we are really lucky or everyone here is extremely pleasant.

NEW YORK vs. SEOUL and GAS MASKS:
Unlike New York where I have been, packs of kids traveling the subway are in uniforms, or are 8 years old, or are coming home from the malls. They are soo sweet and adorable v.s packs of kids that might say, want to hurt you…just saying. Safe living….HOWever, we did notice gas mask safety drills and emergency cases in the metro, in case of some Northern version of South Korea attempting to bomb the subway. ???

TRAFFIC:
I would mention the driving, but it is nothing like California, New York, or elsewhere.  Also, because I was not driving, and it was safer, but still crazy. Curtis did save my life twice from motorcyclists. They deliver things everywhere, and often take the sidewalks….

SEOUL IS SOO CLEAN..except this small street I saw from the subway:
I’m trying to figure out the cleanliness. Either we are in a really new area OR the penalty for littering is death, or maybe they scorn you by rubbing your nose in it, and people can’t stand the humiliation. ???

SOMETIMES I FORGET WE ARE IN KOREA:
We travel a lot, and so I forget sometimes we are in Korea!!!??!
We were again reminded that we are actually on a trip around the world by a family on a train that kept waving and saying hello to us, and then smiling when we would respond to them. It would have seemed normal except they repeated the charade for at least 5 stops on the subway. My favorite part was how they marveled at how Curtis looked and kept waving, but when I popped up from behind him my blonde hair sent then in to a frenzy of excitement. It’s my magic trick. I’m going to start wearing a hat and them taking it off for little kids. Maybe I will panhandle here when we run out of money.

TRIP HIGHLIGHT:
My most favorite part of this trip has been people thinking that I speak Korean because I can read their body language. It has happened at so many places. Today at McDonalds the teller would speak to me, and then I would translate to Curtis. Ha HA.  Little did she know I had no idea what she was saying...UNTIL of course the end when I had convinced her so much apparently she stopped using body language and had like a three minute conversation with me, FORtunately a man next to us translated quickly, and it looked like I still spoke Korean. I felt accepted!

Jetlag update:
Last night was the most beautiful Slumber for me!! Curtis is on track for one more night, and then we think his Jetlag will be over!  Our friend takes Melatonin, and loves it. It’s a naturally occurring element that helps you to feel tired. Take it right before you go to bed.

Food:
We shopped at a grocery store for food today. I feel like either you go fresh, fried, or Candy. It is hard to find salty goodness here. Last night they put sugar in my cheesy bread (from Pizza Hut!!!). It was NOT the same, but after much searching I splurged and bought a small 5 dollar can of almonds today!

Quick Fashion blurb:
Other than traditional wear, it’s Back to the eighties baby! You dress up or get baggy and fancy. Mini skirts, cut off jeans, big long baggy tops, short bobs (not so much the big hair, but short bangs), the big eye glasses, scarves, shoulder pads, everyone is wearing nylons and leggings, neon laces, open big old tennis….I started singing a-ha, Madonna, and even busted out the safety dance.

Social differences and tips…
1. Curtis likes the Bathroom Shower Combo, he said it makes for easy shaving…and whatnot.

2 .The wave gesture “come here” is different than in America.  Face you palm towards the ground, and bend your fingers (at knuckles..) towards your wrist.

3. Also, Curtis’s way of gesturing yes to people is their way of saying, no, no, not happening. I’ve seen it when they tell me that I offered too low of a price. Today Curtis said yes he wanted a grocery bag, and then she put it away. Ha ha

4. Everyone is very close. People my age and older hold hands and lock arms. In my family culture that is normal too (at least my mom holds my hand still ;-) ), but its not for most people in America. A lot of people don’t want to be observed as gay, but that is not a concern here.  Imagine you and your in-laws all-walking down the street holding hands…singing hey hey we’re the monkeys. It happens, but it’s noticeable here. I like it!!

5. Carry toilet paper…just incase, or know where it’s located. Many bathrooms have it located in the entranceway, but not all have it! Also, my secret tip, which may or may not seem ethical to you…use the handicap toilets..they are not holes in the floor!! They are standard toilets!!!!

Anyway..I’m going to go enjoy the tunnels and site seeing and practice my Korean.

Kam-sa hom-ni-da (Thank you) for reading!

1 comment: